Millar's Threshing Machine - PEI Potato Museum
To See A Large Photo Please Click On Image
History Of The Artefact:
This Millar’s Threshing Mill is one of the oldest threshers in Canada. Alexander Millar originally built it for his own farm in the 1850s. The family kept it as an heirloom after they stopped using it, and it was then donated to the PEI Potato Museum by Robert Millar Jr. of Bideford. The Thresher powered by a two-horsepower motor, it could thresh seventy bushels a man with a flail could expect to get through.
Alexander Miller, 1803-1889
Alexander Miller was born in Scotland, and worked there as a millwright before immigrating to Prince Edward Island in 1850. He continued to work as a Millwright, building and repairing saw, carding and grist mills. From 1852 until 1862 Alexander along with his son John built as they were called then, “threshing mills” in North Bedeque, Wilmot and Bideford. He finally settled in Bideford where he turned his hand to farming. Miller also kept a diary, which was recently published in Burnt Island to Bideford; a history of the Millar family.